Thursday, June 12, 2014

Banana Crumb Muffins

The weather has been absolutely crazy this year.  I mean, aside from the fact that we had the coldest weather that I've ever seen (I'm in the Northeast US and we had temperatures and storms comparable to those seen in the Midwest - we are NOT used to that here!). As you can imagine, we were very excited for Spring to come.

But this Spring has  been so bizarre. We've had crazy drenching storms, record high temperatures, record low temperatures, and huge swings in between. Including one 80 degree day that ended up in a hailstorm. Seriously bizarre.

So this week has been super rainy. So we've been inside a lot more than I'd like to be in June.  As a result, I've been in the mood to bake. A lot. 

Today I was in the mood for muffins, and I had a few bananas in perfect baking condition in the fruit bowl.  Perfect!

Little man was super helpful, too.  First he helped me measure dry ingredients.


Then he helped me mash the bananas.


Then he helped me mix up the wet ingredients.


While he was doing all of that, I mixed up a crumb topping for the muffins. I mean, I had to do something while he was doing all the work, right??


I also scooped the muffins into the muffin tin. I probably should have let him do it. I will next time.


And then they baked! And the house smelled so good that I forgot to be upset about not being outside.


And let me tell you - they were delicious. Super moist, super flavorful, super delicious. They made a great after school snack for little miss. And her friend. And I even sent some home with her friend so he could share with his mom.

Now I need the sun to come back out. At least for a few days to give me time to finish up all the baked goods that have been keeping me busy!


Banana Crumb Muffins

For the Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I omitted these)

For the Brown Sugar Crumb:
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
1/4 cup pecans for topping, optional (I actually used 1/4 cup rolled oats instead and it was great!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin liners. I actually got 12 muffins out of this recipe, so be prepared for that!
In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. 
In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugars,vanilla, egg and canola oil. 
Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture, mixing just until moistened. 
Fold in pecans (if using).
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. 
Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse crumble. 
Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. 
Sprinkle remaining pecans on the top of each muffin, if you chose to use them.
Store muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails