Monday, February 18, 2013

Gingerbread Spread - One More SRC Bonus

The call goes out, and I can't help but volunteer. For this week's Secret Recipe Club reveal, there were a couple of missing posts, so I offered to help out. And when the hostess sent me the blog that needed "rescuing," I was in heaven.

While I had never seen it before, Mele Cotte may just be one of my new favorite blogs. Christina, the blogger behind Mele Cotte, is amazingly talented and has so many mouthwateringly delicious looking recipes. Within minutes of scanning the blog, I already had half a dozen earmarked to try.

For the sake of getting a post up quickly, I chose a quick recipe, but one that I would have bookmarked to try during the holiday season (yes, planning way ahead...) - gingerbread spread.  As you may have noticed, I love just about anything gingerbread, and this simple cream cheese spread looked too good to pass up.

The first thing that I did was to measure out all of my spices - brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.


In a separate bowl, I placed one block of softened cream cheese and two tablespoons of molasses.


Now, the recipe, as it is written, calls for all of the ingredients to be mixed together in a food processor. I didn't feel like pulling out my mini-food processor, nor making that much noise (it was bedtime for the kiddos), so I mixed everything together by hand. While I am sure the food processor makes it quicker, it really wasn't difficult to get everything incorporated and smooth.

The results were delicious!


The sharp spices and the cool cream cheese come together deliciously, and spread on my graham crackers, I almost felt like I was eating gingerbread cookies!


I think I am going to have this on a bagel for breakfast tomorrow!

Christina, while I don't ever wish for anyone to be orphaned, I am so glad to have been introduced to your blog, and I can't wait to make lots more of your recipes!!



Gingerbread Spread
(from Mele Cotte)


1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

In the bowl of a food processor, add all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
If you don't have a food processor (or need to make this more quietly...), you can mix everything together by hand.
Transfer the mixture into an airtight container and let chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes about 1 cup.

Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. Shelley,

    Thank you so, so much for adopting me today, and for your sweet words! It means a lot. I love that you chose this spread and mixed it by hand. I had forgotten about it, but definitely believe that gingerbread is perfectly appropriate year round. :)

    Thanks again! Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I love to have dip with my apples and this sounds perfect! Thank you SOOOO much for helping out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gingerbread is one of my favorites, and this dip looks super easy to make and I agree that this on toast would be delicious. I’m new this month to the group C, so I hope you stop by and visit! http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2013/02/avocado-cup-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a dear for adopting an orphan and staying up while everyone was sleeping to make it. Much love to you for that! The spread you made does sound perfect for a bagel--so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y'know, this is one of those recipes that I think - why didn't I think of that - basic but brilliant (maybe that's I didn't come up with it - ha.) I love gingerbread and can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails